whitehaven rugby league the Marras

Message Board
Highlights 2002
Haven Immortals

Whitehaven RL
Recreation Ground
Coach Rd
Tel 01946 692915

Fax 01946 695805

Travel for away fixtures contact Steve Shepherd Tel. 07740867495.

Action pictures can be purchased from photographer Mike McKenzie

Great Second Half Stand
Haven traveled to Yorkshire buoyed by that tremendous win over Halifax last week, but with several enforced changes - Joel Penny was out , Steve Kirkbride was in at no 7 while Carl Sice also missed out with Gary Purdham standing in.

Rovers are not having a happy time of it right now and Haven got of to the best possible start . Rovers knocked on in their first set of six, and from the resulting possession stand-off Leroy Joe danced over untouched from 15 metres out, touching down under the posts to give Mick Nanyn an easy conversion, much to the delight of the vociferous Haven travelling support . Then Rovers had a ten-minute spell during which they were the dominant side and scored two unconverted tries through Maun and Dooler .
Haven reasserted themselves with playmakers Aaron Lester and Leroy Joe dominating matters . On sixteen minutes scrum-half Steve Kirkbride ran onto a perfectly weighted and delayed Lester pass in front of the Rovers’ posts. And five minutes later Lester’s chip bounced perfectly in-goal for the onrushing Leroy Joe to touch down. Two more easy kicks for Nanyn Haven were 18-8 ahead
Rovers were not ready to lie down, however,as Josh Weeden, who went over on the left, . An excellent touchline conversion from Liam Finn made it 14-18 with all to play for.

But just before the half time hooter we grabbed a vital try as Craig Calvert, squeezed in the left corner, after taking a pass from David Seeds. Nanyn missed the kick, but it sent us in at half time with a handy 22-14 lead .

The second half resumed with the Haven playing down the slope and looking well set to dominate matters , however it was nip and tuck for almost 20 minutes with the scoreline remaining unchanged . However a Craig Chambers try on 3/4 time was the game breaker after which Havan ran away with it. A Rovers defensive foul-up on their line seven minutes later gave sub Gary Purdham an easy touch down just to the right of the Rovers’ posts. The defensive collapse continued when, two minutes later, the non-stop Haven full-back Broadbent latched onto a Kirkbride break to score under the posts. This, and the three easy Nanyn conversions, meant that Rovers were down and out at 14-40. Rovers finished with a late converted try to make the final score Haven 40 Rovers 20 but none of the 1200 gate could deny the best team had won .

Another great team performance and result on the back of last weeks win over Halifax , with the absence of the influential joel penny hardly making any differance to the Haven . Everyone played their part but it is difficult to ignore another big game from Leroy who seems to found his old form in recent weeks

Referee: Julian King
Attendance: 1269

Featherstone: Nathan Batty, Stephen Jones (Craig Moss, 64), Danny Maun, Richard Newlove, Bryn Powell, Josh Weeden, Liam Finn, Jason Southwell (Ian Tonks, 19), Carl Hughes, Nathan Sykes (Danny Evans, 32), Steve Dooler, Adam Hayes, Dean Ripley (Neil Lowe, 17)
Subs: Craig Moss, Danny Evans, Ian Tonks, Neil Lowe

Whitehaven: Gary Broadbent, Craig Calvert, David Seeds, Mick Nanyn, Wesley Wilson, Leroy Joe, Steve Kirkbride, Neil Baines (Aaron Summers, 22), Aaron Lester, David Fatialofa (Mark Cox, 22), Brett McDermott (Howard Hill, 25), Craig Chambers, Carl Rudd (Gary Purdham, 49)
Subs: Howard Hill, Aaron Summers, Gary Purdham, Mark Cox

www.marras.co.uk the web site of Whitehaven Rugby League