whitehaven rugby league the Marras

Message Board
Highlights 2002
Haven Immortals

Whitehaven RL
Recreation Ground
Coach Rd
Tel 01946 692915

Fax 01946 695805

Travel for away fixtures contact Steve Shepherd Tel. 07740867495.

Action pictures can be purchased from photographer Mike McKenzie

Batley in Cup
June 6 2004
WHITEHAVEN dumped Batley out of the cup competition with a mixture of a storming opening and a tremendous defensive display in te second period. The win came the same weekend as Wath Brow celebrated their own big win.

They needed both for the Bulldogs, anxious to make up for their dismal performance in the Challenge Cup fifth round, proved to be a much tougher cookie to handle in this Arrive Trains Cup encounter.

In a storming second half the home side came back from 20-4 to 16-22 with Whitehaven only managing to chalk up two points in the second half.

Thankfully their defence was superb throughout.

Such a view seemed academic after the first quarter in which the visitors had run in 18 points through an unrelenting attack.

Loose forward Craig Walsh was the spearhead opening up the Batley defence after only four minutes and allowed him to race over for a try at will to which Mick Nanyn added the goal.

Four minutes later a high ball from scrum half Sam Obst was collected by Paul O'Neill for a try in the corner and moments later his 40-20 touchfinder provided the platform for him to whip out a long ball to send centre David Seeds scampering through for yet another score.

It looked so easy at this point although Batley had passed up a chance when full back Mark Sibson slipped when faced with a clear run in.

The Bulldogs did open their account however as assistant coach Paul Harrison collected a chip through to touch down.

Even then Walsh's second marvellous dummy restored the equilibrium as he broke through the line and sent Seeds clear away to score and open up the 20-4 interval lead.

But it was a completely different picture in the second half as Batley, playing down the Mount Pleasant slope, hit back with two tries in four minutes from Shad Royston and Matt Bramald to narrow the gap to 14-20.

The screw would have been turned tighter still had Eaton been on form. He missed a comparatively easy conversion to Harrison's earlier try and then saw a touchline attempt hit the upright and bounce out.

He did add a penalty goal at threequarter time but Nanyn restored the lead with a simple penalty goal and the defence, masterminded by full back Gary Broadbent, did the rest.



Batley: Mark Sibson, Bryn Powell, Chris Spurr, Shad Royston, Matt Bramald, Mark Toohey, Barry Eaton, Steve Hill, Andy Heptinstall, David Rourke, Tim Spears, Andy Spink, Ryan Horsley

Substitutes (all used): Chris Molyneux, Paul Harrison, Sean Richardson, Adie Leek

Scorers - Tries: Harrison 34, Royston 50, Bramald 54. Goals Eaton 2

Whitehaven: Gary Broadbent, Jamie Marshall, David Seeds, Mick Nanyn, Paul O'Neill, Leroy Joe, Sam Obst, Dean Vaughan, Aaron Lester, David Fatialofa, Brett McDermott, Howard Hill, Craig Walsh

Substitutes (all used): Graeme Morton, Carl Sice, Mark Jackson, Chris McKinney

Scorers - Tries: Seeds 18, 38, Walsh 4, O'Neill 8 Goals: Nanyn 3

Man of the Match: Whitehaven - Gary Broadbent

Referee: Ben Thaler (Wakefield)

Attendance: 910

www.marras.co.uk the web site of Whitehaven Rugby League