whitehaven rugby league the Marras

Message Board
Highlights 2002
Haven Imortals

Whitehaven RL
Recreation Ground
Coach Rd
Tel 01946 692915

Fax 01946 695805

Travel for away fixtures contact Steve Shepherd Tel. 07740867495.

Action pictures can be purchased from photographer Mike McKenzie

Derby Doubles 2003
Town 10 (0-27) 39 Whitehaven

Haven won this West Cumbrian derby with plenty to spare and in doing so went some way towards silencing the critics who had voiced their opinions last week.

Once agian Coach McCormack rotated his squad and on a perfect sping afternoon the Haven turned in a first half performance somewhere near what we know they are capable of .

It was nip and tuck for the first 15 minutes . In that time Daren Holt punished Towns indiscipline with two penaltys, a bout of sustained presuure saw Graham Morton force his way over Thanks to short ball from Leroy Joe.Holt converted then put over a field goal 11-nil. A 12 man Town team then conceded a further try as Mark Wallace got on the end of some quick hands from the Haven back line Holt goaled again 17-nil .Then the try of the game some direct running from Mark Jackson Blasted open the Town defence , Purdham supported and fed Stenhouse for a great try 21-nil .Then on the half hour Craig Chambers scored a carbon copy of Morts earlier trys and with Holts conversion it was 27 zip at the half .Havens best 40 minutes of rugby so far this saeson

Mort got his second try right after the restart Holt converted 33-nil,and a drubbing for the old enemy looked possible . However all credit to the Town as they refused to lie down , well led by Carl Sice they scored two trys and pegged the haven back before Chris McKinney scored from close range with minutes remaing Holt added the extras to make the final score Town 10 Haven 39 to send the Haven fans home justifiably proclaiming their team as THE PRIDE OF CUMBRIA D.F.

Another report of the game...
A polished performance over the first 40 minutes by Whitehaven had this west Cumbrian derby wrapped-up at the break.
Although Workington showed a lot more of their resolve, determination and attacking capabilities in the second-half it wasn't enough to swing the game their way.
So Haven were able to complete the double over Town, and at the same time register their first win at Derwent Park since 1997. It also extended their 100 per cent record in the Arriva Trains National Cup to eight games.
Steve McCormack's men had the match won by half-time, as they turned round with a 27-0 lead, and when Graeme Morton crossed two minutes after the restart for his second try of the game it looked ominous for Town with the distinct possibility they would be swamped.
Credit, however, to the home team, with only won win from seven previous games in the competition. Facing certain defeat they dug deep and came back to score two tries which suggested there might be more to come.
There wasn't, as it happened, and Whitehaven had the final say with a final try two minutes from time by Chris McKinney but Workington fans were able to go home happier than they were at the interval.
Some inconsistent, and at times puzzling, decisions by referee Steve Addy didn't particularly help either side in the first-half, and Workington were most affected as they had Matt Tunstall and Brett McDermott sin-binned for trivial offences.
Town's director of football Dave Smith said: "We played well in the first-half at Whitehaven, and did well in the second half on this occasion but we wants things joined-up. We have to play for 80 minutes to make any sort of impression."
A happy McCormack thought his side's display, particularly in the first-half, had answered a few critics.
"We'd won seven out of seven before today but hadn't got the credit we deserve. I thought the first half effort was as good as we've played, with some excellent rugby with the ball in our hands and I was well pleased with the defensive effort.
"It was a little disappointing in the second-half, particularly to give away two tries, but overall to win a derby game away from home with 29 points in hand is pretty satisfying," he said.
It was a typically keen and committed start from both teams, as they were quickly out of the traps. It's always good to get the first points on the board in a derby and it was first blood to Whitehaven as Darren Holt nosed them in front with the opening penalty.
Kevin Hetherington could have responded a minute later but his effort slid just the wrong side of the post.
Inside ten minutes, though, Whitehaven had doubled their lead as Holt put over his second penalty and he was to finish the game with 15 points from seven penalties and a drop goal.
The second penalty had followed Tunstall's yellow card for holding down in the tackle and during his absence Whitehaven scored their first try.
Good pressure had stretched Town and when the ball was shuffled wide Workington hadn't enough defenders as Jamie Stenhouse's quick pass put Mark Wallace scrambling over in at the corner. Holt converted and on 24 minutes he put over a field goal.
Through one reason or another, Workington were unable to keep the ball for any length of the time and Whitehaven looked good going forward, supporting well and keeping possession with some slick handling.
The best try of the game came on 25 minutes. Substitute Marc Jackson made good yards with a powerful burst down the middle and found support in Garry Purdham. He in turn found a ready ally in Stenhouse who completed the job in style.
It was no surprise when they scored again four minutes later as the Town defence was found wanting again. This time Joe and Gary Broadbent did the spadework and the hard-working Graeme Morton finished off with the try.
There was still worse to come before Town gained the sanctuary of the dressing room. Craig Chambers surged over from close range, again after good approach work with Leroy Joe and Aaron Lester in tandem.
When McDermott was sin-binned just before the break for an accidental late challenge, as he was blinded by the sun, it summed-up Town's half - 27-0 behind and back down to 12 men.
It got worse before it got better. Morton skipped past another poor tackle to cross for his second try and Holt's conversion left Haven clear with a 33-point advantage.
The return of McDermott and the introduction of substitute William Blackburn seemed to lift Town and they came back with a lot of determination.
From a loose ball, Carl Sice swooped to pick-up and he darted 15 yards to score his side's opening try, which was improved by Kevin Hetherington.
It was Whitehaven's turn to play with 12 men as David Fatialofa took an enforced ten-minute break in the bin for a foul on the rampaging Blackburn. That raised Town morale again and they reduced the arrears even further when Hetherington put Graeme Lewthwaite over in the corner.
But that was as good as it got for Town and in the closing stages Whitehaven had regained the upper hand with Chris McKinney stretching out behind him as he was tackled over the line to get the final try of the game, which Holt improved.
Blackburn put in some telling runs for Town while Sice was busy and workmanlike throughout, but the most promising performance for home fans came from full-back Adam Coulson, playing his first senior game at Derwent Park.
Back at the club after an 18-month absence he looked confident, strong and willing, certainly the type of young player Town have to build-on as they look to kick-start their season in National Two over Easter.
For Whitehaven, a satisfying afternoon for McCormack and his men. Tougher contests lie ahead in National One, but that first-half form will serve them well.
Broadbent, Holt, Joe and Morton were the stand-out players as the quarter-finals of the competition beckon. J.Walsh
Star Men: GARY BROADBENT (Whitehaven), ADAM COULSON (Town)
Crowd: 1,004
Workington Town: Coulson, Johnson, McDermott, Heaney, Lewthwaite, Hetherington, D. Burns, Tunstall, Sice, Okesene, W. Burns, Pettit, B. Smith. Subs (all used): Fisher, Robinson, Blackburn, Barker.
Whitehaven: Broadbent, Wood, Stenhouse, Hill, Wallace, Joe, Holt, Vaughan, Lester, McKinney, Chambers, Morton, Purdham. Subs: Kiddie, Jackson, L. Smith, Fatialofa.
Referee: Mr Steve Addy, Huddersfield.
Derwent Park's best attendance of the season; 1,000.

www.marras.co.uk the web site of Whitehaven Rugby League