whitehaven rugby league the Marras

Message Board

Highlights 2005

Highlights 2004

Highlights 2003

Highlights 2002

Haven Immortals

Whitehaven's web

Whitehaven RL
Recreation Ground
Coach Rd
Tel 01946 692915

Fax 01946 695805

Travel for away fixtures contact Steve Shepherd Tel. 07740867495.

Action pictures can be purchased from photographer Mike McKenzie



Play-offs ..Over and Out
Halifax 32, Whitehaven 24

Last year it was Widnes pipped us, this year the Fax.
But Haven gave their all at the Shay on Sunday.

Crucially John Duffy and Aaron Smith were missing through injury and Trindall was suspended for a previous error.


Once again Graham Holroyd proved, as so often, Halifax’s match-winner.

Haven had to be constantly on guard against Holroyd’s dangerous attacks down the left, and he had a hand in virtually all of the home side’s best work. McAvoy was also injured and forced to sit-out the rest of the match.

Haven got first points through a Rudd goal .


On 30 mins David Larder was first to a loose ball as it bobbled over the try line.

On Fax’s next set, Marc Jackson was penalised for a high tackle and Holroyd this time put Royston in for a try. The stand-off slotted his second conversion to put the hosts 12-2 ahead.


Rudd then collected his own short kick through the defence to break the sturdy Fax line.

Haven were able to switch play and Seeds put Calvert in at the corner.

Then Aaron Trinder reacted first to touch down a classy short dummy-half kick from Penkwicz. Holroyd added the extras as the half-time hooter sounded.

Rudd ensured the best possible start to the second-half for Haven, ghosting through the line to score.

He slotted the conversion and moments later was on hand to kick through for Calvert to touch down. Rudd’s conversion brought Haven back on level terms with 30 minutes left on the clock and the momentum firmly behind them.

But with his team on the rocks, Holroyd rose to the challenge. He booted the hosts in front through a penalty.

The Cumbrians were penalised for ball-stealing from the re-start, and Holroyd sent Varkulis in at the corner.


Damian Ball crossed soon after and Haven were in deep trouble.

Holroyd converted and followed up with another penalty goal, to put the hosts 32-18 up, and there was no real way back.

Haven had the final say on 71 minutes, David Fatialofa diving on the loose ball after Graeme Mattinson’s attacking kick had struck an upright.

Rudd goaled and Haven continued to press but to no avail.


Haven: Broadbent, Calvert, Seeds, R Jackson, Maden, Joe Rudd, Baldwin, Mattinson, Fatialofa, Miller, Fletcher, McAvoy. Subs: Sice, Hill, M Jackson, Wright.

Tries: Calvert 2, Rudd, Fatialofa.

Goals: Rudd 4.

Halifax: Royston, Gibson, Roberts, Varkulis, Greenwood, Holroyd, Watson, Southern, Hoare, Wrench, Larder, Smith, Joseph. Subs: Penkywicz, Ball, Trinder, Watene.

Tries: Larder, Royston, Trinder, Varkulis, Ball.

Goals: Holroyd 6.

Attendance: 2,184.

Referee: Phil Bentham.





































www.marras.co.uk the web site of Whitehaven Rugby League