whitehaven rugby league the Marras

Message Board
Highlights 2002
Haven Immortals

Whitehaven RL
Recreation Ground
Coach Rd
Tel 01946 692915

Fax 01946 695805

Travel for away fixtures contact Steve Shepherd Tel. 07740867495.

Action pictures can be purchased from photographer Mike McKenzie

Fax Collapse
After beating Halifax at the start of the season...now this!

This was always going to be a tough game for the Haven , but no-one could have predicted before the game that Haven would be hammered by 60 pts to 18 by an improving Halifax team . An astonishing six tries in 15 minutes either side of half-time was the key to victory as Whitehaven wilted in the baking heat.

Halifax were clinical in everything they did - winning the forward battle up
front, getting quick play-the-balls and finishing moves with ruthless
efficiency. For Whitehaven it truly was a day to forget, with salt being poured into their wounds through a succession of injuries which left them with just 1 fit substitute with around 1 hour to go. Halifax dominated proceedings from the early stages. Substitute Black - on for the injured Dean Lawford - made his his mark with a burst up the middle,
before opening the scoring after dummying his way through from close range.

Three minutes later Halifax doubled their lead when loose forward Weisner's
pass was seized upon by James Haley, who sped through the static Whitehaven defence. Damian Ball then continued the movement before off-loading to Weisner who crossed by the posts. Weisner, who ended up with a personal haul of 24 points, converted his own try.
Slowly Whitehaven came into the game as they establish some field possession. Centre Mick Nanyn lost the ball over the line, substitute Paul Davidson made a predictably enthusiastic contribution to the Whitehaven cause. However just before the half hour mark the Halifax onslaught began. Weisner - who was outstanding all afternoon in both attack and defence - began the spree by grabbing his second try. His flat pass put hooker Fisher through a gap and he off-loaded to his Australian colleague.

Three minutes later, Black gained his second after following up another Ball break, before centre Anthony Blackwood grabbed two tries in as many minutes before half-time.

First he out-jumped Wesley Wilson to claim Black's cross field kick, before
picking up a loose Whitehaven pass to streak over from 70 metres. Weisner
kicked his fifth goal of the afternoon to put Halifax 34-0 up at half-time and
depart the field to a standing ovation.
If the first half had ended badly for Whitehaven, then it got worse straight
after the interval when Andy Spink crossed following a Fisher break. Two
minutes later, the scoring spree continued when Chris Morley got in on the
act. With the game comprehensively over as a contest after just 43 minutes, Whitehaven finally mounted an assault as Nanyn scored in the right hand corner after a flowing move.
Black sealed his hat-trick on the hour mark as he ghosted in from 30 yards after the impressive Ball burst up the middle. Straight from the kick off Whitehaven regained possession and substitute Carl Sice crossed from close range. Prop Howard Hill then strode through a weak defence on 65 minutes to gain a measure of respectability for the Haven .
Halifax gained tries to Rikki Sheriffe and Fisher, in the process setting a
new Halifax record of tries in a season for a hooker.
In between referee Julian King settled the ongoing feud between Davidson and McDonald by dispatching Davidson to the sin-bin for a swinging arm. A bad day at the office for Steve Macs team ? Maybe but lets hope that its only temporary . With 7 games remainingthe NL 1 title is still wide open and it will be the team that shows the best form that will take it . With a week off the Haven will now reflect on what went wrong at Halifax.
Damian Gibson; Alan Hadcroft, James Haley, Anthony Blackwood, Rikki Sheriffe;
Pat Weisner, Dean Lawford; Chris Morley, Ben Fisher, Jason Boults, David
Larder, Andy Spink, Damian Ball
Subs: Ben Black, Ryan MacDonald, Andy Hobson, Scott Law
Tries: Black (10, 31, 60), Weisner (13, 28), Blackwood (39, 40), Spink (41),
Morley (43), Sheriffe (70), Fisher (79)
Goals: Weisner 8/11

Gary Broadbent; Craig Calvert, David Seeds, Mick Nanyn, Wesley Wilson; Leroy
Joe, Joel Penny; Howard Hill, Aaron Lester, David Fatialofa, Iain Morrison,
Brett McDermott, Carl Rudd
Subs: Spencer Miller, Paul Davidson, Carl Sice, Chris McKinney
Tries: Nanyn (53), Sice (61), Hill (65)
Goals: Nanyn 3/3
Sin-Bin: Davidson (79) - swinging arm

Half-Time: 34-0
Penalty Count: 7-9
Referee: Julian King (St Helens)
Attendance: 1,550

www.marras.co.uk the web site of Whitehaven Rugby League